Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Maureen A. Miller - BEYOND

I am doing virtual cartwheels, because my wonderful twitter friend Maureen A. Miller is here today. Maureen is a romantic suspense author and the creator of Just Romantic Suspense,  a website devoted to the all things romantic suspense. Maureen is starting a new adventure, by self publishing her first Young Adult Romance novel, called BEYOND.
What motivated you  to write a Young Adult novel?

When I was a young girl I had such a crush on Starbuck from Battlestar Gallactica. My brother and I loved that show. We had the toys from the show and the Ceylon ship would shoot little red plastic pegs (which were supposed to be lasers). Anyway, I used to dream that Starbuck would pick me up out of my back yard and whisk me away on adventures in space, and we would fall in love....

Recently looking back on those days, I thought what if something like that did happen? What if Aimee Patterson was taken from her back yard and whisked away into space to fall madly in love with a great-looking warrior?

There's no great mystery as to why I wrote this Young Adult novel.  I'm just acting out my fantasy. :)

Even though it is aimed at the Young Adult audience, would you still consider it a romantic suspense?

Hahaha. Yes! You could classify it as Young Adult Science Fiction Romantic Suspense.  That truly sums it up. If you know me, I am a fan of the woman (or girl) being placed in danger and fighting her way out of it with the help of some terrific looking guy. Whether that conflict takes place in Milwaukee or a space ship 9000 light years away, it still makes for great fun.

Aimee chases after her dog in BEYOND. You never talk about pets online, do you have a pet?

I have two fish. I had three, but one literally jumped out of the tank when I was feeding them. It was horrible. 

I had a cocker spaniel, which you'll notice Aimee does too. :) The passing of that dog was too traumatic for me to entertain ever replacing him. What I would really like is to have about six dogs. Six really big dogs. And everyday when I come home they all charge me because they're so happy. I also want a ranch so big that I have to ride a horse to get to the mailbox at the end of the driveway.

Favorite character from Josie and the Pussycats? (It's relevant!)

I'd have to go with Melody because I always wanted to play the drums.  The closest I came was cymbals in marching band! Oh and yes, like Aimee, I played the clarinet.

Can you recommend any young adult books to readers that might be new to the genre?

Roxanne St. Claire's DON'T YOU WISH because her character was also put into a situation completely out of her norm. And anything from Jordan Dane. But there are so many. I'm still trying to read a lot of them and catch up on the genre.

Thank you for coming to play, Maureen. BEYOND is available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble in paperback and e-book formats.It is also at Smashwords in e-book format. 
It is the day after Aimee Patterson’s high school graduation. College beckons, as does her dream of becoming an engineer. On an early evening walk, her cocker spaniel charges into the woods on the other side of the pond. Aimee trails after him, and in the stillness of that forest the unthinkable happens. She becomes paralyzed and watches in horror as her hands vanish before her eyes. 

Waking to the sound of voices, Aimee realizes that she has been kidnapped. Little does she know how far away from home she is, though. In an attempt to flee her captors, she launches from their confines only to freeze at the view outside the window. The sky is black and filled with stars, and in the distance is a familiar blue globe. The planet Earth. 

A group of humans forced to flee their planet after an epidemic destroyed their civilization now travel the galaxies in search of an antidote. Retrieving samples of plant life from every solar system, on this occasion Aimee was accidentally seized instead. 

Aimee must learn to avoid the advances of an awkward young scientist who seems intent on dissecting her, as her own fascination turns to the exotic young warrior, Zak. Having fallen in love with Zak, she is now torn with the decision to return to Earth or live beyond the stars.
Maureen's illustrious writing career began in the fourth grade with the blockbuster hit, Super Watermelon Man. Many years later, she evolved into a full-fledged Romantic Suspense author with her first novel, WIDOW'S TALE, which was nominated for a Golden Heart by the Romance Writers of America. A fan of the old Gothic romances, Maureen enjoys the formula of danger, romance, dark cliffs, and sinister houses. All these elements can be found in her romantic thriller, ENDLESS NIGHT. Find her at www.maureenamiller.com , Facebook and Twitter

Giveaway
Maureen will gift a digital copy for Kindle or Nook to one randomly chosen commentator. There is no geographical restriction because this will be the digital copy.  Enter by commenting below and asking Maureen a question, or by revealing your favorite character from Battle Star Galactica, Star Trek, Star Wars, Serenity or even Josie and the Pussycats. Also, leave an e-mail where I can contact the winner. Contest will run through 9/30/2012 and end at 9 pm PST.

14 comments:

  1. I had a crush on Starbuck too! When I see the picture, I remember why.

    Congrats on your release. I have never seen Josie and the Pussycats or Serenity (but a friend told me I could borrow her DVDs when i have time to watch it), but my favorite character from Star Wars in Han Solo (dah, right?). I always like Worf from Star Trek TNG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you mentioned Worf,as he was my favorite on TNG. I love his voice.

      Delete
  2. Hi Shana!

    Thank you! I am a big Han Solo fan too. They might have borrowed from his character when they created Starbuck. We like our reckless, bad-boy, devil-may-care heroes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I love this: "Aimee must learn to avoid the advances of an awkward young scientist who seems intent on dissecting her"!


    My sister and I were always fighting about who could date Starbuck and who could date Apollo.

    I loved Jayne.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that you picked Jayne from Serenity. He is the unreformed bad boy.

      Delete
  4. Thanks, JB.

    Starbuck vs. Apollo. It was like fighting over Hardy brothers. LOL

    My father watched with me because he lusted after Cassiopeia. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Apollo, sometimes I forget his name. I was a card carrying member of the Hardy Boys fan club. I may even have the pictures they sent me.

      Delete
  5. I loved Starbuck but Apollo was definitely my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rebe,

    If I had stand there between the two of them and pick, you can be sure I'd be smiling as I was doing it! :) Thank you for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't Gayle just an awesome hostess?! Thank you, Miss Gayle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Interview...favorite character...probably WARF from STNG...sadly I have a thing for brooding heroes...lol

    But of course..my favorite episode would have been...THE TROUBLE WITH TRIBBLES...lol

    sandy@thereadingcafe.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh, the Trouble With Tribbles. :) The Gremlins movie had to come from that. Throw water on them and they multiply.

    Thanks so much for stopping by, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for coming to play, Maureen. Looking forward to reading BEYOND.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for having me here, Gayle, and thank you everyone for your wonderful comments.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting.