Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Review of Shana Galen's The Making of a Duchess

I have to admit that I have been going through historical romance burn out. I had recently started but never finished several books from that genre. That being said, Shana Galen was on my list of authors to read based on Facebook recommendations So, when Stephanie Sloane mentioned that Shana Galen was on Facebook I dutifully trotted over to" like" her page, as I had previously done when Julia Quinn had recommended Stephanie Sloane. The problem was that I hadn't read any of her books yet, and unlike Stephanie Sloane, Shana Galen did have books available. Still not seeing the problem? Well, this brings us back to my historical romance burn out, which I will refer from this point on as HRBO. I had stated several historical romances and found them to be ponderous, and do I dare say boring. I won’t name any names as I am not that kind of reader. But because of HRBO I was afraid to start a new author, because what if I didn't like her writing style. Did I really want to spend my kindle allowance on something I wasn't sure about? Read the reviews? I don't read reviews because I don't like spoilers. Luckily, Amazon put; The Making of; a Duchess on their sale, and at a price that didn't break the kindle budget, so with one click I bought it, and crossing my fingers I started to read.

I finished reading THE MAKING OF A DUCHESS last night at well after midnight, and was thrilled to find that I just couldn't put it down. Start to finish action-adventure between Julien a driven hero and Sarah an endearing but socially awkward heroine. The characters were not typical, and their interactions both emotionally and physically seem real. Beautifully written romantic tension, that doesn't feel rushed. I absolutely loved it.

As for my HRBO, well Shana Galen has cured me and I am looking forward to reading the rest of her books.
Especially, LORD AND LADY SPY which is coming out this week.

My question to you is, have you ever been burnt out on a genre? If so what book from the same genre cured you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting.