Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Dana Marton - Last Spy Standing

I am thrilled to be able feature, Dana Marton's upcoming January 2012 release Last Spy Standing from Harlequin Intrigue. I was lucky enough to read an advanced copy, and loved it. Last Spy Standing is a fast paced adventure set in the jungles of South America. Dana Marton drops the reader right into the action, and sets the scene so vividly that it makes you wish for a handy machete, so you can cut your way through the jungle along with the characters.

Last Spy Standing
Do you love reading a book set in the jungle? Where there is danger in every step the characters take, and the setting itself is as unpredictable as the enemy. Sparks and bullets begin to fly when Mitch Mendoza the hunky hero, meets the feisty heroine Megan Cassidy. Last Spy Standing is a book that you will not be able to put down. 


There a few elements that can be expected in any story that is set in a jungle. The first thing is snakes, and Dana delivers on that point there are plenty of snakes both poisonous and benign in  Last Spy Standing. The second is spiders, and the spider featured in this book is unbelievable, but very real.  


So, to help any of you that find yourself dropped into a jungle I thought I would point out a snake, and a spider in Last Spy Standing you should avoid. I am personally advocating that you avoid them all, but if you insist . . . First thing's first and in the classic cinematic words of Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark, "Snakes. Why did it have to snakes?" We will start with the snakes.


The fer-de-lance makes an appearance in Last Spy Standing, and even when he isn't on the page you get a feeling he is hiding in the leaves, just waiting for an opportunity to strike.
fer-de-lance
The fer-de-lance is a pit viper who is fast, venomous, can climb trees, swim and is easily agitated. Say no more, lets avoid him, but will Mitch and Megan?


Next we have the Banana Spider that gives new meaning to the word creepy. To be fair there are harmless yellow Banana Spider's out there, but the ones in Last Spy Standing are not those. The Banana spider is poisonous and reported to have the most painful of all spider bites. Though how they determined that is something I would rather not consider. Ouch.
                               
Brazilian Wandering Spider aka Banana Spider
I am not a spider person. I used to scream in my room until my mother would come take the offending creepy crawly outside. I am proud to say that I am now able to handle my own spiders, but if this jungle bad boy came my way, trust me I would not hesitate to get out of his way, and call for special ops to handle it. So, a good rule of thumb in the jungle is avoid spiders as well. Dana has some surprising details about this spider, and you'll have to read Last Spy Standing to find them out. 


Last Spy Standing is a must read for Dana Marton's fans, and for those of you who haven't read her books yet, this is a great book to start with. 

Dana is offering one randomly chosen commentator one her books either an e-book or in print. To be entered in the giveaway ( US or Canada please) ask Dana Marton a question in the comments below. Or answer which fictional hero or heroine would you want to bring with you if you were dropped into the middle of a jungle? I know who I'd bring, do you? 
                                                                                                                 
You can find Dana Marton on Facebook - Website - Twitter She loves to hear from readers.

Giveaway ends on Monday January 2 at 9 pm PST. Last Spy Standing is available now at all major online retailers, and at Harlequin.  Please leave an e-mail so I can get a hold of you if you win.





13 comments:

  1. If I was dropped into the middle of a jungle I would bring Laura Croft. She is just one of those heroes that you are glad she is on your side. I love your blog. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a book I would love (in spite of the creepy spiders). Thanks for the recommendation! I think I would want one of my own heroines--either Sophia Galloway, Lady Smythe or Raeven Russell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to read this book! I one had a run-in with a banana spider, but fortunately no run-ins with fer-de-lances!

    If I were dropped in the middle of the jungle I would want to bring Bear Grylls!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I currently own one of her book - Black Sheep Sheik. By reading your review, I think I would love to own this one too. What an adventure in JUNGLE!

    Mmm.. I would need someone useful in the jungle and would know about animals, I would have to go with .. this guy from River Monster, Jeremy Wade.

    Amanda Scott

    Heres my email address - amandascott@forevermomma.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bear Grylls would work for me, too, Maureen! The research was so much fun for this book. I actually enjoy reading jungle survival manuals. Gets my imagination going. If I could choose a fictional character, Jason Mamoa from Conan would work :-)

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute cover, Dana! Looking forward to the new book.

    And, cute review, Gayle!

    I'd want Indiana Jones with me--Harrison Ford can still rock my world. ;)

    heidirubymiller AT gmail

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only person I would want would be my husband. Thanks for the chance to win.
    quiltingmom329@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. the person I would bring to the jungle is someone that arent afraid of certains animals, know stuff and comfort me :)

    Right now I would pick Steve Irwin would be the best person to go to Jungle with.. RIP

    Twilightfanz10@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. The person I would bring to the jungle with me would have to be Indiana Jones seeing that he knows all about the jungle puss with his knowledge the trip would be even more interesting !

    Thanks so much for the chance to win the book sounds beyond fabulous !

    Desere

    desere_steenberg@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would bring McGyver. I loved him from his General Hospital days. The books sounds great. The cover is hot! Thanks for the giveaway!
    srbagby 50 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the variety of answers, thanks to everyone who left a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I were dropped into the middle of a jungle I'd bring McGyver.
    chey127 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting.