Pages

Monday, December 12, 2011

CASE FILE: CANYON CREEK WYOMING


Recently on Twitter one of my favorite Romantic Suspense Authors, Paula Graves was live tweeting from the hospital. I tweeted to her that she need a hunky bodyguard like her very own character, Riley Patterson from the Canyon Creek Police department. Riley is the hero of  CASE FILE: CANYON CREEK WYOMING which is Paula's RITA nominated Harlequin Intrigue and is the first book in her Cooper Justice series. Riley first meets Hannah Cooper the heroine in the hospital in a less than ideal situation. Paula tweeted back "When I meet the Intrigue hero of my dreams, I'd like to have clean hair and no oozing wounds." This tweet started me thinking that the whole premise of most Intrigue's is that the couple meets during a crisis, usually loaded with enough personal baggage to keep the average human being away, and often with little time for social niceties such as clean hair. The ability to move past these obstacles and find love in the face of impossible odds is the very reason I enjoy reading Harlequin Intrigues.


Heroine:
Hannah Cooper is a fishing guide from a large family, who is vacationing in Wyoming.

Hero:
Deputy Chief Riley Patterson a widowed police officer.

First Meeting Location:
They meet at a hospital in Jackson Wyoming, after Hannah has been attacked and peppered sprayed by a serial killer who posed as a police officer. Riley come to the hospital to question Hannah about the attack because he has a very personal interest in finding out who attacked her.

Hannah's Initial Impression:
Riley Patterson walks into the hospital room wearing a badge, and gets the following reaction."Her heart rate doubled in a span of a second, she opened her mouth and screamed.

Riley's Initial Impression:
"Bandages, blotchy skin and red rimmed eyes disappeared, revealing how pretty she was beneath her injuries." 



Not an ideal meeting, nor an ideal location, but certainly the perfect setting for an Intrigue to start. This was the first book of  Paula Graves  that I had read. I was instantly hooked, by her cinematic style and carefully crafted stories. I've subsequently read everything else that she has written except for her most recent release from Harlequin Intrigue Major Nanny, which I am saving for a rainy day. 


So, I started thinking which locations and circumstances would make the least desirable romantic meeting places. Personally, I would not enjoy meeting my Intrigue hero at the dentist office, and if that dentist office was on a submarine, well that would be the worst possible romantic suspense scenario for me. Yet an Intrigue heroine might easily find love there, as the dentist would turn out to be a spy and their mission on the submarine dangerous and top secret.


My question for you is, what circumstance would you prefer not to meet your Intrigue hero or heroine in? *


*Everyone who  leaves a comment below before 9pm on December 27th, 2011 (PST) will  be entered in a random drawing and one person will  win a copy of Major Nanny by Paula Graves, and a ten dollar gift card to Amazon. Also, leave an e-mail  for me to get a hold of you. The winner will be posted on December 28th here and on Paula's Facebook page.


Paula Graves upcoming March 2012 book - Secret Identity

18 comments:

  1. I love Paula Graves' books! I "found" her books thru the link that we are both from Alabama and that's where some of her books take place. I think my fav so far is Murder on Lovers Lane.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deborah R,

    I am so glad you stopped by. I love Paula's books too. Murder on Lovers Lane is very good, and I can't wait for her next book in that series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I the only one answering the question? My answer -the gynecologist's office. LOL. Everyone have a Merry Christmas!

    Sue P.
    pennsdog@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue P.

    I'll agree with on that one. Yikes. I wonder if any author has attempted that location before?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big Paula Graves fan. I'm also a fan of GayleC.

    I'm hooked on airplane disaster movies. All those "Airport" movies... I think a plane is a great spot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maureen,

    Thank you for stopping by. Airplanes would be very scary, and if I met an Intrigue hero on one, he'd better be a pilot or a guy with two parachutes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I'd attempt to have a heroine meet an Intrigue hero at the gynecologists's office. Or the dentist's office. (And, by the way, if you're squeamish about teeth issues, be forewarned, there's a pretty icky scene in my March 2012 book, SECRET IDENTITY).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Case File: Canyon Creek Wyoming sounds like the book I need to read over break.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Paula - Can't wait to read Secret Identity even with dental drama. Yikes.

    Hi Cathy, - Glad you stopped by. Case File: Canyon Creek Wyoming is an excellent to start.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gayle, you know I love Paula's books! This one is an excellent introduction to her work, and will hook readers :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melanie C. Duncan

    Thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate it. This was the book that hooked me too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wouldn't want to bump into My Hero during a fast-food piggy frenzy with greasy food-face. If we dated he'd assume i liked to eat bad food. Not a good start to a healthy relationship....(Did i win anything yet? hahahha)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Gail,

    Thank you for commenting.Paula always has wonderful descriptions of food in her stories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The great thing about suspense stories is they provide circumstances that let a hero shine, and I've met many differet sort of heroes I've come to admire. Paula, you are a new author to me but I am looking forward to meet your characters.

    Cambonified(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Na,

    Glad you stopped by. Hope you get a chance to take a look at Paula's website and see the books she has available, besides her Intrigues she has three e-books available.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Shelley B,

    A grocery store is an interesting location to think about. You seldom see Intrigue heroes in a grocery store. In The Man From Gossamer Ridge by Paula Graves, the hero Gabe Cooper does have a bad experience in a convenience store. Glad you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have a winner Na S. Thank you all for stopping by and commenting. More giveaways coming up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting.