Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Is There a Right Time to Quit?


I am pleased to welcome Dana Marton to Intrigue and Delight  for the second time. She is guest blogging  here today, and introducing her new epic fantasy book, The Third Scroll.  


Is There a Right Time to Quit?

You know how people say you can achieve anything if you put your mind to it? I don’t believe in that. I know for a fact that I could never be an opera singer or a professional athlete. Thank God, I have no desire to become either of those things. Because I have a confession, I’m not the type of person who knows when to quit.

“If at first you don’t succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it,” said W.C. FIELDS, and I think he was one smart cookie.

I could have saved a lot of grief, not to mention time and money, if I’d followed his advice over the years. There are a great many things I regret not quitting a lot sooner than I had: a job that was so stressful it made my stomach bleed, medical treatments that nearly killed me, etc. But the thing I can never regret is not giving up on books. For authors, our stories are our children. We carry them in our hearts and minds for months and months, if not years and years, and when they’re finally born, they are part of us, carry our DNA.

I can honestly say that my slight stubborn streak has caused a fair amount of grief in my life over the years, but it does pay off now and then. If it wasn’t for that, The Third Scroll, my epic fantasy, would have never seen the light of day. I wrote this book 10 years ago. Everybody loved it, but nobody wanted to publish it. “It straddles the line between fantasy and romance,” they said. “Booksellers won’t know where to shelf it.”

Made no sense to me. As a reader, I want a great story and an absorbing reading experience. I’m hoping other readers feel the same, because after ten years, the book is finally getting published. I’ve published close to 30 novels since finishing The Third Scroll, some of them even won awards and were translated into a dozen languages to be sold all over the world, but I’ve never been as nervous about a release as this one. This story really is my special baby, a project close to my heart.

Maybe because it’s a woman’s journey to find her true worth and her true heart and to save the people she loves. Sold into slavery, Tera, a budding healer, is thrust into the savage realm of barbarian warlords, the same realm which claimed her mother years ago. She must avoid the displeasure of her warrior lord and survive the cruelties of the concubines, even as war threatens on the horizon.

Yet a greater danger looms when she catches the eye of the most powerful lord of the land and he takes her for his Pleasure Hall. Tera struggles to escape, while searching for the secret behind her mother’s death. But what she discovers challenges everything she believes in. A path set long ago beckons. A path that could lead to triumph, or the destruction of her world.

So what about you? Do you think anything is possible? What is the one goal, one dream that you will never quit?

Dana




THE THIRD SCROLL
An epic journey begins....
Coming to stores on May 1, 2012
http://www.thethirdscroll.com

The book is also available in print edition: http://www.amazon.com/The-Third-Scroll-Volume-1/dp/0985346205/

It should be available on May 1st for at Amazon for Kindle, B&N for Nook, and at Smashwords for all other ebook formats.


6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me, Gayle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming by Dana, and congratulations on your new release.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do believe anything is possible. I've thought about quitting writing so many times, but even when I wasn't contracted, I came back to it. I think it was what I was meant to do, and maybe if you can quit something, it's not what you were meant to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, I've walked away from certain things and I didn't miss them for a minute. Whereas, other things I put aside, I end up heading back to them time and again. Thank you for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  4. I like WC Fields advice, that's for sure! I've walked away from some things & never regretted them, but I'm glad to hear that Dana didn't give up on her book. That's one plus to ebooks - authors can publish great books that otherwise wouldn't see the light of day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebe, for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting.