Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

Zip Zip and Away

My husband Steve and I just had the good fortune of being able to Zip Line at Piiholo Ranch in Maui. It was one of those life changing experiences where you push your preconceived notions about what you can and cannot do, and literally jump off a platform yelling Geronimo. We had signed up for the Zip Line both wanting to do it, but at the same time feeling nervous about actually jumping off a platform. I tried to psych myself into it by riding things at Disneyland that either had height like the Ferris Wheel, or no feet touching like the Swings. 

The ramp.


Steve coming up.


To get to the platforms you initially cross a suspension bridges or ramps,  like the one pictured above.  Only two people can be on it at a time, and they sway and bounce like something out of Indian Jones. I accused Steve of shaking the bridge and he wasn't even standing on it yet. 


My feet.


At the top is a swinging door to the platform which you don't enter until the guide, in this case Andrew attaches a safety rope to your back. Then you come through the door and he gets you set up on the Zip Line.  He has you lift your feet to test the line set up, and at the count of three you pick up your feet and fly. Your goal is a platform on the other side where two more guides are positioned and who give you hand and body signals to slow down, speed up or break.



Getting ready.



Getting hooked up.

It was hard concentrating on hand signs while your zipping over trees, and for awhile I was watching the wrong guide. Oops! The breaking system makes a pop, and you come to an abrupt stop, then your guide brings over a ladder and you climb up to unhook, and then down.

Jonathan, Kanoa and Andrew

There were nine of us in the group plus the three guides and we did four lines in all. It was very fun and not as scary as you would think. First of all the Zip Line part goes so fast that you don't have time to be scared, and the staff was funny, but also very careful so you never felt like you were in danger.  I would highly recommend this Zip Line to anyone looking for a fun adventure.

Steve and I.













6 comments:

  1. Looks intimidating but worth it! I'd love to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm very impressed! That's something I've always wanted to do.

    Love the new blog layout, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chardonnay and Rose - it was a blast. Still working on the layout. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a much braver woman than I am! It sounds like you had a great time, and you got some wonderful pictures. And I love your new blog design. Isn't Shabbyblogs.com awesome?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Sharon. I was reading your Maggie post when I received the email that you had commented. The zip line experience was amazing, as it was out of my comfort zone. The picture at the top of the blog is a picture of my coffee table. We call it the Bee table. The sides are Shabby Blogs which I found through you, so thanks for that. I'd like to play around with it more, when I feel inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was awesome! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting.